Please vote on October 6th
Lois Nixon's Experience
Lois Nixon’s experience reflects a lifelong commitment to excellence in education - in her professional life, and as a volunteer.
As Director of Wake County Keep America Beautiful, Lois leveraged her expertise as an environmental educator and worked closely with Wake County classroom teachers to deliver programs in our schools.
In this capacity, she also established an excellent working relationship with the Wake County Board of Commissioners—a relationship that will serve her well as a member of the Wake County School Board.
As a volunteer, Lois has served in leadership positions in professional education organizations, (Environmental Educators of North Carolina, North American Association for Environmental Education), local grassroots groups (WakeUP), and other community organizations (NC General Federation of Woman’s Clubs) and has been recognized for her outstanding contributions.
Lois’ passion for education is a family affair. Her mother served on the Board of Education in Maize, Kansas for twelve years. Both of Lois’ sons graduated from Wake County Public Schools, where she actively volunteered for 21 years. And in the next three years, her two grandchildren will enter our school system...so Lois has a vested interest in the quality and excellence of Wake County Public Schools.
- Director, Wake County Keep America Beautiful, Raleigh, NC, 1986-2005
- Founder and Manager, Wake County Environmental Network, 1990-2002
- Social Worker and Youth Activities Director (Georgia, Virginia, California), 1966-1978
- Substitute teacher, Wake County Public Schools
- Board Member & Past President, Environmental Educators of North Carolina
- State Education Department Chair, General Federation of Woman’s Clubs
- Life Member, North American Association for Environmental Education
- Education Team, WakeUP Wake County
- 21 years as an active PTA member and volunteer in the Wake County Public Schools
- Board member and volunteer, Friends of Page-Walker Hotel
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Environmental Educators of North Carolina
- National Professional Leadership Award, Keep America Beautiful
- Alumni Award, Leadership NC
- B.S. Degree in Human Ecology, Kansas State University
- Graduate courses, University of Louisville, NC State University, University of Wisconsin—Stevens Point
- Graduate, Leadership Raleigh, Leadership North Carolina, UNC School of Government, City & County Administration course
- NC Certified Environmental Educator
Lois is a proven community leader
► Director of Wake County Keep America Beautiful for 20 years, nationally-recognized for work with students and classroom teachers
► PTA parent, substitute teacher, and school volunteer for 21 years providing leadership and support for teachers and student success
► Forged excellent working relationship with the Wake County Board of Commissioners
► Track record of setting high expectations to achieve excellence
► Developed and partnered on numerous innovative and successful environmental education programs still used in Wake County schools
► Accessible and active listener—energetically seeking creative and innovative ideas to build on the strengths of our schools and assure a bright future for every child in our community
► Certified Environmental Educator and a Champion for the environment
► Recognized leader by state and national professional environmental education associations